Mother’s Finest – The Kickstarter campaign
I’ve always been drawn to that bastard offspring of music – Funk Rock. Ever since a guy at my student’s union going by the unlikely name of Andy Starbuck took me aside and played me ‘Hot Wire’ by Trapeze. That led me to explore damn near everything Glenn Hughes had recorded, and in the late 70′s when I became a professional bassist and singer and went to tour for several years in Scandinavia, I discovered Mother’s Finest. Perhaps it’s the bassist in me that loves my riffs hot heavy and funky – but whatever the reason, I loved their mix of rock funk and blues, Baby Jean’s vocal screaming out over Mo’s sledgehammer riffs. When Brian Adams got Tina to sing on ‘It’s Only Love’, I was like “MF have been there and done that a decade before you dude!”.
Mother’s Finest are a pioneering, historically important band. And against all the odds, they are still out there doing it today. They haven’t released any new music for a decade, but all that’s about to change. In conjunction with the fundraising site Kickstarter, they have launched a campaign to create a brand new album with the help of their loyal fanbase. If you haven’t heard this band, you need to check them out. They have inspired so many bands that followed them. Extreme, the Dan Reed Network, and don’t tell me Prince never had them on his turntable!
It’s a niche music, because traditional metalheads shy away from it, and funk purists too, for different reasons, but for me, damn! Funk rock is greater than the sum of its parts, and nobody delivers it like Mother’s Finest. Check them out , and then head to the pledge site at the link below the video and sign up. Be a part of it and help them make their next killer album!
1 Comment »
(Born: 20th May,1958, Chesterfield, England) is a Bass Player and Lead Vocalist. Formerly with Tubeless Hearts, he played with English Pop band Christie from 1990 to 2003, and featured in Graham Oliver’s Saxon on two European tours, before other commitments resulted in John Ward taking over vocal duties for the resulting Oliver/Dawson Saxon CD releases. Nevertheless, he appeared on Graham Oliver’s solo album End of an Era returning the favour after Oliver had appeared on Tubeless Hearts Three CD. READ MORE….
CD’s AVAILABLE NOW!
SAVE MOJACAR MUSIC! FREE DOWNLOAD!
Download my 2009 solo album FOR FREE!!!
Buy a BLUE ODYSSEY T-shirt!
Buy my Art!
- Travelling to Amsterdam to perform in a Metal Festival this weekend-will be looking for a Sports bar to watch The Rams! @dcfcofficial #dcfc 2 hours ago
- @MrsZillah @metalodyssey And I'll be at Amsterdam airport Friday lunchtime heading to the Very 'Eavy festival with @witchcrossdk !! 3 hours ago
- @stevelukather Just had the roof down and 'Tambu' on. Can't wait to hear the new stuff! #drivingmusic 4 hours ago
- @xtcfans A bit like walking through a minefield. It focuses the mind. I also feel a huge sense of achievement when I've re-attached a button 6 hours ago
- @xtcfans I always feel like a prick, and inevitably get one. 8 hours ago